Friday, February 3, 2012

Bleeding 'Blue' in more ways than one


This last few years have been tough to say the least.  I had been put in a position that I never would have wished to be in. I was forced to do something, that until it was actually time to do so, I never would have imagined I could.... I turned my back on Richie Farmer.


Now, my explanation: Richie Farmer entered the realm of politics. When he first decided to venture into that world, I was all for it. Now, I am a Democrat, and Farmer was on the Republican ticket, but I, out of my devotion to the Cats, was willing to overlook that fundamental/ideological difference and cast my vote his way. As long as he was just running for things like Agriculture Commissioner.

One less Dem in Frankfort, but I took it as acceptable loss. It was Richie, after all.
Then, He did the one thing that I prayed he wouldn't. He decided to put his name as part of a tandem for the big offices in Frankfort. Farmer, was going to run for Lt. Governor, alongside fellow Republican and running-mate for Governor, David Williams, President of the Kentucky State Senate.

As soon as he did that, I had to turn my back on Richie Farmer.

There was now a void in my heart, and I quite honestly made myself sick. How could I do this to Richie?

How could I go against the Cats? I began to question myself and political affiliation. Should I change sides?
However, I elected to stick to my guns, and continue to pursue the path, and political agenda, that I most associated and agreed with. When it came down to it, leaving the Democratic Party was never a possibility for me. Going the wishy-washy, fence riding Independent route was a no go, too. I am blue in ways other than my allegiance to a university.

I caught flack. Flack from other in-state Dems who went to the booth, and cast a vote for every Democrat on the board...except when it came to the one in opposition of Richie. When I made it aware that it was just not going to be possible for me to vote for Farmer, those same who did called me a 'blasphemer', and if any of them had arms stronger than that of a 10 year old girl, I am sure they would have stoned me to death or at the very least challenged me to a fisticuffs.

'Guys, I understand why you think this way" I would say. It's the sickness. It's just one of the side-effects you suffer from when the blue blood courses through your veins. It cause blindness, which results in blind devotion. I am guilty of this at times myself. "I just don't agree with his stance." "I love Richie Farmer, though."

To be perfectly honest, I am not sure I can even tell you I was 100% sure of where he stood. In order to not be 'blindly devoted' due to his status as a boyhood hero of mine, i was guilty of being 'blindly devoted' to my political party. I still stand behind my initial decision to vote Democrat, though.

Then, I heard Richie speak. He was at Fancy Farm, in Kentucky, stomping for his Republican cause. That is when I knew for sure what he stood for, and what his goals were in the Gubernatorial Elections, and that is when I knew that there was no way I could vote for him or his ticket.

I implored some of my friends who made it very clear that even being Dems, there was no way they were voting against Richie, to listen to the man speak. Drown out the wild cheering of their own youths, and quit picturing Richie out on Rupps floor, when he is standing behind a podium telling you what his political agenda is. Listen closely. Those aren't 20 footers or free-throws he is talking about.
It was all in vein with that crowd though. Election day came and went. Of those who gave me so much grief for not going with Richie,maybe 1 of about 6 of them actually went and voted. And of course they said, "If I would've had the time, I would have voted for Richie!"

Suffice to say, enough people in Kentucky shared my views on the issue of picking state leadership and not a starting guard, as Farmer and his running mate were defeated.

Now, those same few often say to me: "Did you hear about Richie Farmer? Wow, what a mess he is in."

And, they are right. Richie Farmer made some poor decisions in the past few years himself. Misuse of public funds. It was said that he used tax-payer money to purchase a variety of 'luxury' items, which the definition of luxury is varying and in the eye of the beholder. A very, very, bad divorce that was made very, very public. Apparently, Richie was a little less than loyal to his wife. To compound the matter, and make Richie Look like he may not be the brightest crayon, he went on to hire the woman with which he had an affair, as a special assistant. Stephanie Sandmann, his mistress/girlfriend/ partner in adulteress behavior/ was given a job in his Agriculture Department shortly before he left office, when his term was up. Sandmann was signed on to a salary of $5,000 a month.

Then, he did what anybody who may have questionable level of intelligence would do: He hired his girlfriend's friend to a somewhat lucrative position. She has since been relieved of her position.

It gets worse. Farmer, upon leaving office, apparently decided to take some mementos with him. Those mementos were to the tune of $324,000.

The in-coming Ag Commish, James Comer thought that the office was a little 'bare' when he took over on January 2nd. His office reported that there was items that were property of the State Government that were missing from the department, and had last been issued to Farmer. Basically, they were saying bring back our stuff, Rich.

And,he did. Farmer did, what most would consider a walk of shame, and did return SOME of the missing items. Of which included the following: 2 Dell laptop computers, a monitor, and a printer.

However, the office is still missing two global-positioning devices, that had been issued to Farmer. What the hell does Richie Farmer need with GP devices???

An audit has been ordered, as there are some questions about employee time-sheets,  Pay-roll issues, travel vouchers and expenses, and purchases made using state-issued credit cards. Oh, and they still can't find that mini-fridge that was purchased for the department while Farmer was in office.

And, what may be the crowing moment of idiocy of in the post-UK life of Richie Farmer: After leaving office, and his salary of making $110,000 a year, Farmer went straight down to the Unemployment Office, and applied for benefits. That'll show Obama, Richie. Especially since you refused to participate in government-mandated furlough in the past year, when the state was facing serious deficit issues.  However, don't let it be said that he doesn't stand for what he believes in. Farmer doesn't believe in furloughs, so he didn't participate in the mandated one. That is some back-bone there, folks.

Wonder if he will get it?

Like I said, I cry a little bit evey night, knowing that this mess is following my beloved Richie.

I will never forget Richie, and never will I tarnish his legacy as a Cat. He's an 'Unforgettable' for goodness sakes.

However, it's his political legacy, that I will try to forget.

And before I finish this, let me just go on RECORD with this: Richie Farmer is one of my 5 FAVORITE Cats of all-time. Anything he does in the political field, short of being responsible for nuclear war breaking out, will ALWAYS be overlooked.

No comments: