Saturday, February 2, 2013

Randy Moss on his own ride, not just a passenger on Ray's 'Last Ride'



For tomorrow's big shin-dig in 'Nawlins, most of the chatter has been Ray Lewis' last ride, Colin Kaepernick's sleeve tats, Two brothers named Harbaugh staring at each other from opposite sidelines with a family torn down the middle,Michael Crabtree for various reasons related to football or not, and now, we are being treated to a slew of PED allegations and deer antler spray.

Locally, there is something else being tossed around in conversations taking place over a beer or 8: Randy Moss.

'Dandy Randy' has another chance, maybe his last too, to get a ring. Moss has made waves his whole career, and recently he sent his biggest wave to crash into the shore, that being his remarks that he thought he was the greatest receiver of all-time.

Some people don't like Randy Moss, and they picked his statement apart with stats and other things. Others, love the guy and defended his statement and his stats, noting that the object of his boast, Jerry Rice, played most of their career with 2 Hall of Fame QB's. Moss, only had that caliber of tosser for 3 of his years in the NFL.

And, there is quite a bit of validity to that statement.

I like the Ravens. I love the way they approach the game. I like their hard-hitting, no nonsense style. I like Ray Lewis, a lot. I like his emotional take on everyday life. He gives you everything he has, every game. And, he has interviews as entertaining as Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair.

I don't like the Niners. I just don't. Two Super Bowl wins over the Bengals will do that to you. I am not bitter, I just don't like those damn 49ers.

I do, however, love Randy Moss. I love how he sounds like, well, me whenever he is talking to the media. His twang, his logic. Randy Moss is not that kid who got sent home from Tallahassee. He's also not that young man who caused a stir at times in Minnesota, and he's not the unapproachable and detrimental figure we were told about in New England and Nashville. Randy Moss is one of us.

In a game in which I really could care less who wins, I will say that I'm not really rooting for the Ravens, and I am definitely not rooting for the 49ers. I am rooting for Randy Moss. I am rooting for us.

Some other local flavor in this year's Super Bowl:
 The Sons of Marshall will be split down the middle like the Harbaugh Family in The Superdome on Sunday.
Suiting up for San Francisco are Moss and C.J. Spillman.  Across the way on the Baltimore sideline are Albert McClellan and Omar Brown.

No comments: